March 14, 2007
San Diego, CA - The No. 71 Bulldogs (3-5) came up short against the No. 28 Anteaters (15-2) 5-2 Tuesday in their San Diego spring break opener. Sophomore Janet Kim and junior Lindsey Dashiell came up with victories for Yale in the loss.
Kim, playing at No. 1 singles, defeated national ranked Becky Bernhard in straight sets 7-5, 6-4. Dasheill pulled off a straight set victory against Lisa Shih at No. 6 7-6, 6-3.
Head Coach Danielle Lund said Yale will take a lot out of Tuesday's loss to highly ranked UC Irvine.
"UC Irvine was a very competitive, tough team that deserved to win today," Lund said. "I was very proud of Janet and Lindsey pulling out two good singles wins for us as well as Christine and Olivia who played a great doubles match at #1. I think we learned a lot in terms of what we need to work on in order to take our team to the next level and we're anxious to get back on the practice court tomorrow to prepare for Cal State Northridge on Thursday."
Yale plays Cal State Northridge Thursday at 2 p.m. PT.
1. Janet Kim (Y) def. #94 Becky Bernhard (UCI) 7-5, 6-4
2. Inna Agababian (UCI) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) 6-3,6-3
3. Clare Fermin (UCI) def. Christine Alford (Y) 6-0,6-1
4. Heidi Kaloi (UCI) def. Olivia Nix (Y) 6-1,6-0
5. Jessica Broadfoot (UCI) def. Lilian Nguyen (Y) 6-3,6-1
6. Lindsey Dashiell (Y) def. Lisa Shih (UCI) 7-6(2), 6-3
1. Christine Alford/Olivia Nix (Y) def. Inna Agababian/Clare Fermin (UCI) 8-4
2. Jessica Broadfoot/Heidi Kaloi (UCI) def. Sarah Lederhandler/Janet Kim (Y) 8-5
3. Jayme Hu/Lisa Shih (UCI) def. Lindsey Dashiell/Lilian Nguyen (Y) 8-3
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity