March 16, 2007
San Diego, CA - No. 71 Yale (4-5) rebounded from a tough 5-2 loss to No. 28 UC Irvine to defeat Cal State Northridge 5-2 Thursday. The Bulldogs won four singles matches and locked up the doubles point to secure the victory.
Sophomore Janet Kim, freshman Jessica Rhee, senior Olivia Nix, and sophomore Lilian Nguyen won at No. 1, 4, 5 and 6 singles, respectively. Kim pulled off a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 victory against Silvia Gutierrez. Rhee cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ana Matijasevic. Nix, the captain, won in straight sets over Kasia Krasinska 6-1, 6-4. Nguyen battled to win her match against Sonya Kumar in a third set tiebreaker.
The Bulldogs won the No. 2 and No.3 doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The freshmen team of Rhee and Sarah Lederhandler handled Gutierrez and Matijasevic 8-5. Junior Lindsey Dashiell and Kim defeated Krasinska and Kristy Fournell 8-6.
Yale will continue their spring trip when they take on San Diego Saturday.
1. Kanykey Koichumanova / Canna Furuta (CSUN) d. Christine Alford/Olivia Nix (Y) 8-1
2. Jessica Rhee / Sarah Lederhandler (Y) d. Silvia Gutierrez/Ana Matijasevic (CSUN) 8-5
3. Lindsey Dashiell / Janet Kim (Y) d. Kasia Krasinska/Kristy Fournell (CSUN) 8-6
1. Janet Kim (Y) d. Silvia Gutierrez (CSUN) 7-6 (4), 6-1
2. Kanykey Koichumanova (CSUN) d. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) 6-2, 6-1
3. Canna Furuta (CSUN) d. Christine Alford (Y) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jessica Rhee (Y) d. Ana Matijasevic (CSUN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Olivia Nix (Y) d. Kasia Krasinska (CSUN) 6-1, 6-4
6. Lilian Nguyen (Y) d. Sonya Kumar (CSUN) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity