March 21, 2007
San Diego, CA - The Bulldogs (4-7) ended their spring trip to San Diego with a 5-2 loss to No. 72 Marshall (12-7) Wednesday at the University of San Diego. Senior Christine Alford and freshman Jessica Rhee pulled off victories for Yale in the loss.
Alford, playing No. 3 singles, battled back after losing the first set to win the next one before her opponent retired during the third set. Rhee cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 straight set victory over Yulia Kashelkina at No. 4 singles.
Rhee and fellow freshman Sarah Lederhandler also pulled off Yale's only doubles victory of the day. The two freshman triumphed over Lynzee Kever and Kashelkina 8-6 at No. 2 doubles.
The Bulldogs travel to Providence to face off against Brown March 31 in their Ivy League opener.
1. Kellie Schimtt (M) def. Janet Kim (Y), 6-1, 6-4
2. Karolina Soor (M) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y), 6-4, 6-4
3. Christine Alford (Y) def. Lynzee Kever (M), 2-6, 6-2, 3-2 (ret)
4. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Yulia Kashelkina (M), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jeanne Schwartz (M) def. Olivia Nix (Y), 7-5, 6-3
6. Jessica Keener (M) def. Lilian Nguyen (Y), 6-0, 6-2
1. Schmitt / Soor (M) def. Alford / Nix (Y), 8-3
2. Rhee / Lederhandler (Y) def. Kever / Kashelkina (M), 8-6
3. Schwartz / Keener (M) def. Kim / Lindsey Dashiell (Y), 9-7
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity