March 25, 2005
New Haven, CT-The No. 75 Yale women's tennis team devastated Boston University today 7-0. Yale swept the singles and doubles matches to claim a virtually uncontested victory. Today's win gives the Elis a 9-3 record and drops BU to 7-6 overall.
Yale quickly rebounded from last week's loss to No. 69 University of San Diego by dominating doubles play against BU. Aimee Kim and Rashmee Patil easily won the No. 1 doubles spot 8-3, and Stephanie White and Olivia Nix beat their opponents 8-6 to claim the No. 2 spot.
The Bulldogs continued to rule over the singles court. In the most contested match of the day, senior Reshmi Srinath battled against Gina Sabatino for the No. 1 singles spot. Srinath started off strong with a 6-4 win in the first set, but was challenged by Sabatino in the second set 4-6. However, Srinath shone in the third set, finally prevailing over Sabatino 10-7 to clutch the win.
Patil, Kim and Christine Alford each won their matches in straight sets. Patil put in a particularly impressive performance, allowing Erin Katims to score only one point. Patil won the match 6-1, 6-0 to claim the No. 2 singles spot.
White also had an outstanding performance, going 8-1 for the win against Cheri Lapane in the No. 5 singles spot.
The Bulldogs will travel to Philadelphia on Fri., Apr. 8 to face No. 54 University of Pennsylvania.
- Reshmi Srinath (Yale) def. Gina Sabatino (BU) 6-4, 4-6 (10-7)
- Rashmee Patil (Yale) def. Erin Katims (BU) 6-1, 6-0
- Aimee Kim (Yale) def. Aimee Charest (BU) 6-1, 6-4
- Christine Alford (Yale) def. Monica Shepherd (BU) 6-3, 6-3
- Stephanie White (Yale) def. Cheri Lapane (BU) 8-1
- Olivia Nix (Yale) def. Laura Stiekema (BU) def.
- Kim/Patil (Yale) def. Shepherd/Sabatino (BU) 8-3
- White/Nix (Yale) def. Charest/Katims (BU) 8-6
- Srinath/Dashiell (Yale) def. Hernandez/Stiekema (BU) def. (Yale wins doubles point)
Reported by Christie Yang '06, Yale Sports Publicity.