No. 55 Yale Rolls Past Penn, 6-1
April 4, 2009
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The No. 55 nationally-ranked Yale women’s tennis team completed an Ivy League weekend sweep on Saturday with a 6-1 victory at Penn. The Bulldogs won four singles matches in straight sets, while Vicky Brook dropped the first set of her match in the No. 3 slot before outlasting her opponent with a 4-6, 7-5, 10-6 win. Yale improves to 11-5 on the season and 2-1 in league play, while Penn remains winless at 0-11 overall and 0-3 in the Ivy League.
No. 124 nationally-ranked Janet Kim, the 2008 Ivy League Player of the Year, won 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles position for Yale. Lindsay Clark (6-1, 6-4), Stevi Petrelli (6-1, 6-2) and Sarah Lederhandler (6-2, 6-3) joined Brook as singles winners for the Bulldogs.
The Yale teams of Brook and Clark (8-1) and Jessica Rhee and Kim (8-5) locked up the doubles point for the defending Ivy League Champions.
The Bulldogs will continue the Ivy League schedule next weekend as Cornell and Columbia visit New Haven on Friday and Saturday.
1. Janet Kim (Y) d. Kate Kosminskaya, 6-0, 6-2
2. Maria Anisimova (P) d. Jessica Rhee, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 10-7
3. Vicky Brook (Y) d. Lauren Sadaka, 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Lindsay Clark (Y) d. Alexa Ely, 6-1, 6-4
5. Stevi Petrelli (Y) d. Jacqueline Wong, 6-1, 6-2
6. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) d. Emily Wolf, 6-2, 6-3
report filed by Drew M. Kingsley, Yale Sports Publicity