Yale Rolls to 5-2 Win Over Princeton
April 5, 2008
New Haven, CT - It took a little while, but the Bulldogs have finally found their stride. It could not have occurred at a more perfect time. After dropping all five of its spring trip matches, Yale has done nothing but win since. The Bulldogs (7-8, 3-0 Ivy) continued their four match-winning streak with a 5-2 victory over the Tigers (8-8, 1-2 Ivy) to improve to a perfect 3-0 record in the Ivy League this season.
Yale started off the day by taking the doubles point with victories at both No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Junior Janet Kim and sophomore Jessica Rhee rolled to an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, the freshmen team of Lauren Ritz and Lindsay Clark pulled out an 8-6 victory.
Playing No. 1 singles, Kim pulled out a straight set 6-4, 7-5 victory over Melissa Saiontz, the No. 83 player in the country. The win marked the second straight victory for Kim over a ranked opponent.
The Bulldogs also rolled at No. 4, 5 and 6 singles. Sophomore Sarah Lederhandler cruised to a 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Rebecca Parks. At No. 5 singles, freshman Stevi Petrelli defeated Sarah Hoffman 6-4, 6-1. Freshman Lauren Ritz defeated opponent Kelly Stewart at No. 6 singles 6-1, 6-2.
1. Janet Kim (Y) def. No. 83 Melissa Saiontz (P), 6-4, 7-5
2. Ivana King (P) def. Jessica Rhee (Y), 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
3. Taylor Marable (P) def. Lindsay Clark (Y), 6-3, 6-1
4. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) def. Rebecca Parks (P), 6-4, 6-0
5. Stevi Petrelli (Y) def. Sarah Hoffman (P), 6-4, 6-1
6. Lauren Ritz (Y) def. Kelly Stewart (P), 6-1, 6-2
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity