April 6, 2007
Philadelphia, PA - The Bulldogs (6-8, 1-1) fell short against No. 53 Penn (12-4, 2-0) Friday in Philadelphia. Freshman Jessica Rhee came away with Yale's only singles victory on the day.
Rhee, playing at No. 4 singles, came away with a straight set victory over Penn's Lenka Snajdrova 6-2, 7-6 (3). The win was Rhee's sixth straight singles victory dating back to Yale's 5-2 victory over Cal State Northridge.
The Bulldogs also came away with the doubles point in the loss. The freshmen team of Rhee and Sarah Lederhandler defeated Yulia Rivelis and Maria Anismova at No. 2 doubles 8-5. Playing at No. 3 doubles, sophomores Lindsey Dashiell and Janet Kim came away with an 8-6 victory over Julia Koulbitskaya and Amanda Avedissan.
Yale travels to Princeton to battle the Tigers Saturday.
1. No. 112 Kate Kosminskaya (P) def. Janet Kim (Y), 6-3, 6-2
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y), 6-4, 7-6 (1)
3. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Christine Alford (Y), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Lenka Snajdrova (P), 6-2, 7-6 (3)
5. Charlie Tansill (P) def. Olivia Nix (Y), 6-1, 6-3
6. Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Lilian Nguyen (Y), 6-3, 7-5
1. Kate Kosminskaya / Snajdrova (P) def. Alford / Nix (Y), 8-2
2. Rhee / Lederhandler (Y) def. Rivelis / Maria Anismova (P), 8-5
3. Lindsey Dashiell / Kim (Y) def. Julia Koulbitskaya / Amanda Avedissan (P), 8-6
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity