No. 44 Yale Tops Dartmouth 6-1
April 17, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 44 Yale improved to 5-1 in the Ivy League and 14-5 overall while extending its home winning streak to 20 matches with a 6-1 victory over Dartmouth Friday. The win put the Bulldogs one victory away from clinching their second straight Ivy League Title and second straight NCAA Tournament Berth.
Yale won matches at No. 2 through No. 6 singles and won the doubles point as well. At No. 2 singles, junior Jessica Rhee rolled to a 6-3, 6-0 win. Freshman Vicky Brook cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 win at the No. 3 singles spot. Playing No. 4 singles, sophomore Lindsay Clark won 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore Stevi Petrelli took care of business in straight sets with a 6-2, 6-2 victory. At No. 6 singles, junior Sarah Lederhandler pulled out a 7-6 (5), 6-1 victory.
The Bulldogs won matches at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to win the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles, Janet Kim and Jessica Rhee rolled to an 8-1 victory. Petrelli and Lederhandler battled to a 9-7 win at No. 3 doubles.
Because Brown lost to Harvard 4-3 Friday, Yale finds itself in complete control of its own destiny. A win Sunday over Harvard in Cambridge will guarantee the Bulldogs their second straight NCAA Tournament Berth.
A win would also guarantee Yale its second straight Ivy League Title, albeit this title could very well be a split championship. Because Princeton is also 5-1 in the Ivy League, Princeton would split the Ivy League Championship with Yale if both teams were to win Sunday. The Bulldogs would earn the NCAA Tournament Berth based on head-to-head record. Yale defeated Princeton 4-3 back on April 3.
1. Molly Scott (D) def. Janet Kim (Y), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Mary Beth Winingham (D), 6-3, 6-0
3. Vicky Brook (Y) def. Jesse Adler (D), 6-2, 6-0
4. Lindsay Clark (Y) def. Georgiana Smyser (D), 6-3, 6-0
5. Stevi Petrelli (Y) def. Carley Markovitz (D), 6-2, 6-2
6. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) def. Ryan Reichel (D), 7-6 (5), 6-1
1. Winingham / Scott (D) def. Brook / Clark (Y), 9-7
2. Kim / Rhee (Y) def. Adler / Smyser (D), 8-1
3. Petrelli / Lederhandler (Y) def. King / Zak (D), 9-7
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity