April 20, 2007
Cambridge, MA - For the first time since 2001, the Bulldogs (10-8, 5-1 Ivy) defeated Harvard (3-15, 1-4 Ivy) 5-2 Friday in Cambridge. Yale came away with victories at No. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles in the victory.
After dropping the doubles point by losing two of the three doubles matches, Yale came out ready to play singles. Senior Christine Alford, freshman Jessica Rhee, senior Olivia Nix, and sophomore Lilian Nguyen disposed of their opponents in straight sets at No. 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles, respectively.
Alford won 6-1, 6-1 over Elizabeth Brook at No. 3 singles. Rhee cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Julia Forgie at No. 4 singles. Nix defeated opponent Vilsa Curto 6-0, 6-3 at No. 5 singles. Nguyen rolled to a 6-2, 6-3 win over Rachel Gottlieb at No. 6 singles.
Head Coach Danielle Lund said she was very pleased with her team's victory over Harvard.
"The whole thing was great," Lund said. "It's a big win. I was really proud of the girls today. We tried to go out there and stay calm and confident. We came out at singles and took care of business at 3, 4, 5, and 6 in straight sets."
Playing against a childhood rival, Janet Kim battled back after dropping the first set to win 2-6, 6-4, 10-4 over Lena Litvak at No. 1 singles.
Lund said she was really proud of the way Kim performed in her match.
"It was personal pride for Janet," Lund said. "It was a great win for her."
With Yale's final match of the season against Dartmouth coming up this Sunday on Senior Day at home, Lund said the team is focused on the match at hand and not looking ahead to a possible post-season appearance.
"We haven't been talking much about the postseason," Lund said. "We've been focusing on one game at a time. It's just another day at the office for us."
1. Lena Litvak/Julia Forgie (H) def. Christine Alford / Olivia Nix (Y), 8-2
2. Preethi Mukundan/Elizabeth Brook (H) def. Jessica Rhee / Sarah Lederhandler (Y), 9-7,
3. Janet Kim / Lindsey Dashiell (Y) def. Rachel Gottlieb / Vilsa Curto (H), 8-2
Order of Finish (3,1,2*)
1. Kim (Y) def. Litvak (H), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Mukundan (H) def. Lederhandler (Y), 6-3, 6-1
3. Alford (Y) def. Brook (H), 6-1, 6-1
4. Rhee (Y) def. Forgie (H), 6-1, 6-3
5. Nix (Y) def. Curto (H), 6-0, 6-3
6. Nguyen (Y) def. Gottlieb (H), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish (3, 5, 4, 6*, 2, 1)
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity