Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Night At Reese Stadium; Bulldogs Fall 1-0 To Harvard

Travis Chulick. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)
Travis Chulick. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)

Start Of Game Delayed Two Hours By Thunderstorms

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - A long night had a heartbreaking ending for the Yale men's soccer team. Brian Rogers knocked in an Adam Rousmaniere cross with 7:07 left in the second overtime to lift eighth-ranked Harvard to a 1-0 victory over Yale on a rainy and stormy night at Reese Stadium.

The start of the game was delayed by nearly two hours due to persistent thunderstorms in the New Haven area, and much of the first half was played in a torrential rain. Nevertheless, it was an extremely well-played game, despite the conditions.

"This game will be remembered for a long time," said Yale head coach Brian Tompkins. "I thought our guys really competed well."

The Crimson (7-1, 1-0 Ivy) had the better of the play in the first 45 minutes, outshooting the Bulldogs 12-1. Both teams had seven shots in the second half and the Crimson had five shots, including the game-winning goal, in the extra periods.

"We got better as the game went on," Tompkins said. "Our confidence grew, and we gave them a lot of problems."

Goalkeeper Travis Chulick was outstanding for the Bulldogs (2-4-2, 0-1 Ivy). He finished with eight saves. His best stop came early in the second half when he dove to his right to deflect Andre Akpan's shot from the right side of the box.

The Crimson posted its fifth shutout of the season.

Both teams were playing their Ivy League opener.

It was Alumni Day, and Yale's 1999 team was honored at halftime. The Bulldogs won a school-record 13 games that year and upset Rutgers in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.

Yale is back in action on Tuesday, playing at Boston College. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.

Report filed by Tim Bennett, Yale Sports Publicity

Video has no source Url in width="480" height="385">