NEW HAVEN, Conn. - This year, the Bulldogs will send almost all its starters to the Northeast Regionals competition hosted by Columbia University at Vassar College.
Representing the foil squad are senior captain Sarah Pak, junior squad captain and manager Anna Zhou, and sophomore Camille Pham. With a 39-23 record, Pak stands in the 10th seed. Zhou's sixth seed standing is the best of the team, earned with a 43-19 record. Pham, close behind her in the eight seed, currently has a 42-21 record. All three starters not only qualified for regionals, but are also seeded in the top 10.
Representing the epee squad is junior squad captain Michelle Nam, senior Lucy Friedmann, first-year Joy Ma, and first-year Shirley Wang. With a record of 35-15, Wang enters the competition in the ninth seed. Back-to-back in 12th and 13th seeds are Ma and Nam with 31-22 and 32-22 records respectively. Friedmann had 21-20 record, earning the 22nd seed. All four epeeists have seeds in the top half of the seeding chart.
Representing the saber squad is sophomore squad captain Lauren Kim. Kim holds the 13th seed, earned with a 30-35 record. Junior walk-on Samantha Wood, who transferred from foil to saber to fill an opening this season, had an impressive bid for regionals; she fenced 56 bouts and earned 11 victories. A difference of two lost bouts ultimately disqualified Wood from competing this weekend.
The competition will take place in three rounds of pools, with competitors cut in each round. The remaining 12 fencers will be entered into the final pool. The results from regionals will count for 60% of the standings for the NCAAs, with the remaining 40% determined by results from the rest of the season.
Live video streaming can be found here.
Live statistics can be found here.