New Haven, Conn.-- Seven members of the Yale Women's Golf Team have earned All-American Scholar honors from the Women's Golf Coaches Association for 2016-17. The awards were announced on Wednesday.
Notably, the honor has one of the highest GPA requirements (3.5 or above) of any collegiate sport's similar honors. Despite such rigorous standards, the Yale women's golf team continues to demonstrate their ability to not only balance, but excel in, their lives as student athletes. The team consistently has multiple players named All-American Scholars. Two years ago, seven Bulldogs also received the WGCA honor. Last year, the WGCA named eight.
A total of 952 women's collegiate golfers were honored this year. Yale's 2016-17 honorees -- with asterisks indicating how many times they have earned the award in their career -- include:
- Elisabeth Bernabe*, Senior, Anaheim Hills, Calif./Canyon
- Sara Garmezy****, Senior, Nashville, Tenn./University School
- Sabrina Long**, Sophomore, Milton, Ga./Cambridge
- Julie Luo**, Sophomore, Alexandria, Va./Thomas Jefferson
- Jennifer Peng***, Junior, Highland Park, N.J./Torrey Pines
- Jayshree Sarathy***, Junior, Palo Alto, Calif./Gunn
- Sandy Wongwaiwate****, Senior, Chiang Mai, Thailand/Hank Haney IJGA/Heritage Academy
Report Filed by Amairani Santoyo '19, Yale Sports Publicity